Friday, March 21, 2014

Asian Shaved Artichoke Heart and Cauliflower Salad


A few years back, I bought some globe artichokes thinking it would be fun to try something I have never had before.  I was making a spring risotto with them, and ended up prepping about 8.  It was A LOT of work.  Needless to say, I have never bought fresh artichokes again after that, opting instead for artichoke hearts pre prepped. I never thought I would eat another artichoke once I went raw, because I was not going to mess with them.  But then, last week, my boyfriend Eric brought me some.  He asked if I would make something with them and I could not refuse, since I am not one to turn down a challenge, especially from him since he gives me so much good produce.  So...I decided that the hearts would be lovely shaved in a raw salad.  Much to my surprise, they actually were not as bad to prep as I had remembered, and simply tossing them with lemon juice was much easier than cooking them had been that last time.  


I decided to pair them with Asian flavors and fresh shaved cauliflower since it seems everyone pairs them with Italian and I like to think outside the box.  Scallions and red bell peppers joined the show and I tossed it all in a garlic ginger miso dressing.  Sooo delicious!  Fresh artichoke hearts aren't so bad to deal with after all.  I think I need to get over the thinking that if something was hard to do once it does not mean that it still is.  I need to change my thinking to try, try again!  And you just might like it the second time I guess!


Asian Shaved Artichoke Heart and Cauliflower Salad
Serves 1-2

6 globe artichokes
juice of one lemon
1/2 large head cauliflower
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 small red bell pepper, diced

Dressing:
1 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp nama shoyu
1 Tbsp white miso
1 Tbsp raw coconut nectar, raw local honey or maple syrup
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced

Black and white sesame seeds

Trim all of the outer leaves off the artichokes, peel the stem, and remove the hairy choke from the center with a spoon.  Slice the artichoke heart very thin, and toss with the lemon juice in a bowl.  Add to another larger bowl with the cauliflower, scallions, and bell pepper.  Whisk together the dressing, and toss with the vegetables.  Spread out onto a plate for serving, and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. 

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting way to combine Asian flavor with cauliflower. Artichokes are plentiful right now, I will try this. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try it, it is so delicious :)!

      Delete